Reading Time: 2 minutes
Ingredients (for 2.5l of ice-cream)
- 1l whole milk
- 1l fresh cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 330gr sugar (You can go with up to 400, but less than 300 is not enough tasty for 2.5l of ice cream)
- Vanilla (concentrate or at your preference)
- Optional: ice-cream stabilizer
- Slowly heat up the milk with the vanilla in a saucepan up to the first boiling signs
- In the meantime, put the beater accessory and the sugar in the Companion
- Optional: add the ice-cream stabilizer and mix it with the sugar (1 m / speed 5)
Be very cautious here is you use ice-cream stabilizer, it must be perfectly mixed with the dry sugar
- Add the egg yolks, and mix with the sugar – (1 m 30s / speed 5 / 40 °C)
- Progressively add the hot milk from the saucepan by the top hole, or by 500ml while mixing
- Mix for (20 m / speed 4 / 85 °C). This is an important step. Make sure the consistence is increased. If not, continue for 10 minutes at the same temperature. The Companion temperature control is ideal for this step.
- Put back the preparation in the saucepan, cool down in cold water, possibly also in the fridge (2-6h) if your ice cream machine is not powerful enough.
- Before processing in the ice-cream machine, beat the cream for 3 m / speed 7, then incorporate slowly in the cold preparation with a spoon. It does not need to be fully incorporated, the ice-cream machine will do the rest. This step will bring some air in the ice-cream.
- Process the mixture in the ice-cream machine (in 3 times for a 1.6l machine)
- The ice-cream stabilizer is used to improve the texture of the ice-cream
- With home-made ice-cream, it’s always a matter of bringing enough air in the ice-cream. Do not use the cap for this recipe
- Make sure to not mix too much when incorporating the cream, otherwise most air will be lost
- Before each processing in the ice-cream machine, mix a bit with a spoon to keep a good ratio of cream with air
- Since the entire preparation is never in the Companion bowl, you can prepare a bit more quantity than your Companion bowl capacity. (up to 3.5l ice cream for a 2.5l Companion bowl)
- The egg yolk start to coagulate from 68° C. That’s why the 85 °C must not be exceeded and kept for some time. Typically, 1 minute for 100 gr of preparation.
Like it ?
Get notified on new posts (max 1 / month). / Soyez informés lors des prochains articles